Cooking Beet and Apple Bisque with Genuinely Julie!
Our favorite food blogger, Genuinely Julie, shares a new winter recipe that is sure to warm you up: a smooth and creamy Beet and Apple Bisque. Plus, it is easy to eat, which may be especially important for people who have swallowing difficulties.
Beet and Apple Bisque
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4 medium beets, peeled and cubed (approx. 3-4 cups)
- 3 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 2 apples, peeled and diced
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp. coconut or olive oil
- 1 tbsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. nutmeg
- 2 tsp. ground ginger
- 1 1/2 cups coconut or cashew milk
- 3-4 tbsp. real maple syrup or honey (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium high heat. Add onions and saute for about 5 minutes, or until soft. Add cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, salt and pepper, stirring to combine.
- Add beets, carrots, sweet potato, apple and vegetable stock (plus 1 to 2 cups water if necessary, to cover all ingredients). Stirring occasionally, simmer over medium low heat for about 30 to 40 minutes, or until vegetables are soft.
- Remove from heat. Using an immersion blender, puree soup until creamy and smooth. Add coconut or cashew milk, stirring gently to combine.
- If desired, add maple syrup or honey for sweetness. Season to taste with salt, pepper, and cinnamon. Enjoy!
- This recipe is gluten and dairy-free.
- Instead of an immersion blender, soup can be left to cool and then transferred to a regular blender to puree.
For more delicious recipes, visit Genuinely Julie